1. Why the heat?
- Your circulation improves; providing a natural irrigation system for your body by flushing toxins from all the glands and organs in the body. If there is any kind of bacteria, infection, germs or virus in there, the dynamic internal changes in the volume, speed and pressure of the blood flow, flushes them out.
- The heart rate becomes elevated which improves the cardio vascular system.
- Practicing Bikram in the heated room increases will power, determination, concentration and patience. The effort you put in during the class, the trying, always doing your best despite the challenging circumstances, also increases your stamina and discipline.
- The moisture in the air is the reason you will probably sweat a lot. Many confuse the humidity with the actual temperature. Our room is thermostatically controlled so the temperature never gets too high. Experts agree that the moisture level for optimal lung function for protection against colds, flu and other respiratory problems such as asthma is around is around the 60-70% mark – so enjoy the sweat!! It is doing you so much good on so many levels!!
2. How does Bikram Yoga work?
- All of the postures in the Bikram Series work to increase the flow of oxygenated blood to ever part of the body. Bikram calls this dynamic “Extension and Compression” ; stretching one side of the body stretches the veins and arteries , narrowing them so normal blood flow cannot flow through; the heart pumps harder trying to accomplish what it normally does, This is the tourniquet effect – when the blood supply is released, blood rushes through the veins and arteries flushing them out, re-energizing and re-organizing the veins, arteries and organs of the body.
3. Can I reduce my stress levels by practicing Bikram?
- A regular practice calms the mind, increases mental clarity and energy and helps to reduce stress.
4. What if I’m not flexible?
- This is the most common misconception that prevents people form coming to Bikram Yoga class. The Yoga is not about how flexible you are. It is about stretching your spine in all directions. All that matters is that you try the right way and you will get 100% of the benefit.
5. Will I lose weight?
- In Bikram Yoga, be prepared to elevate your heart rate!! Each posture combines flexibility, strength and balance to work your whole body and with persistence, patience and dedication you can lose inches, develop muscle tone and strength you may not have found through other forms of exercise.
6. What if “I can’t do it”?
- How quickly you progress will depend entirely on you- on your natural ability to a small extent, but mostly upon the honest time and effort you give to the practice. Do as much as you can honestly on any given day, always respecting and listening to your body’s needs. There is no standard of comparison , except yourself. Just continue to show up for class, practice in the present moment and you will be delighted with the unexpected benefits that emerge!
7. How qualified are Bikram Yoga teachers?
- Bikram Yoga teachers must attend an intensive 9 week course held at Bikram’s yoga college of India in the U.S. Only the candidates who successfully pass Bikram’s rigorous and stringent training program graduate and receive permission from Bikram himself to teach his form of yoga in their studios. Bikram yoga teachers are also required to attend a recertification course with Bikram every three years . In addition teachers are required . on an ongoing basis, to attend seminars and advanced practice classes,which are held regularly all over Europe and the US . Furthermore two of our teachers are European champions and indeed have competed at the world championships in Los Angeles in 2011.
8. How often should I come to class?
- To derive maximum benefit, the Bikram series should be practiced on a regular basis. We recommend at least 10 days in a 30 day period as a minimum commitment to begin to see and feel the sustained revitalization in your body ! In time, you’ll find that you will want to practice Bikram yoga regularly! It’s FUN and IT WORKS!! Remember that Bikram is powerful and challenging! The hard work pays off. IT IS THE VERY BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR HEALTH, YOUR BODY, YOUR VITALITY AND YOUR SENSE OF WELL BEING.